First successful Glamis Dune trip Presidents Weekend - Page 2 - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 07:22 AM

Oh yeah, so much more fun than the polaris rzr I had for over 8 years. Much different than all other utv's I have rode in also. Every time i go now someone in the group breaks a belt at $80-$130 a pop. I think i like my new yxz more now, 8 belts over the years and new clutch assembly was more expensive than if i want to upgrade and replace my clutch! Very happy with the choice 😄
Rolfs and vonsmacken like this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 PM

i was also at glamis during presidents day weekend. the group i was with all had rzr's and i had my quad. i had never ridden in a sxs before, so i picked a great place to start, no? on one ride one of the rzr owners and i rode with another group who liked to go faster through the dunes than our group liked to go. we were in line behind a stock b/w yxz. i could tell just riding behind the yxz that it looked like another level of fun than what the rzr's were offering.

i would have to agree about the belt replacement issue of the rzr's. there were four times over 5 or 6 days of riding that we had to stop to replace someones shredded or snapped/wedged belt on a rzr in the dunes. also two rzr clutches were rebuilt at camp. this was before i saw the yxz and when i learned the yxz didn't have a belt, i was just shaking my head a bit wondering why belts in the first place? can't wait to get a yxz some day and go back to glamis.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 04:03 PM

I'm starting to think maybe you could have been following me if you were camped in wash 3?
vonsmacken likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:01 AM

we may have met then as i was camped in wash 6. i was a passenger in my buddy vic's rzr900 on that ride. the guy that was leading the ride was named eric and he had a 4 seat rzr. he had his daughter with him and i'd say his camp was in the wash 3 area. if you were who i was following on that ride, you were with your wife and you shared how she loves riding in the yxz so much more than your old rzr. if this rings true then you also told me to stop by and you would take me for a ride. i was the guy from tennessee. i never did come back to take you up on your generous offer. sound familiar?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:09 PM

Yup i knew it, glad you had a good time out there, and Eric is a good leader through the dunes too. And i owe youba ride. When you coming back?
vonsmacken likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:26 AM

small world indeed. i spoke with someone from the group i was camped with at wash 6 today and she said everyone has been asking her the same thing… "when is von coming back?" hopefully it'll be this year with my new yxz. i mean heck, it's only 1,800 miles… one way! right? ha! guess i'm going to have to get a place in the desert now. i've only been to glamis once and already i'm hooked. glamis is the most fun i've had on my quad, ever. so let this be a warning to everyone who plans on going to glamis to ride the dunes… if you do go, you'll be ruined for life! i had no idea what i was in for did i? and i appreciate the rain check!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 07:02 AM

Keep us on your list to notify if you get back out here
vonsmacken likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 PM

will do!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonsmacken View Post
will do!
Did i mention that i will back out at Glamis tonight? Gotta go tear up some sand!
vonsmacken likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:06 PM

you know gibbs, i remember the exact moment that i realized i would rather have a yxz than a rzr… again, you were in front of me and the rzr guy you were following took a right turn remaining in the tracks of the guy in front of him. you however decided to take a wider turn so you could slide in the sand a bit more. as a result the guy in front of you created a bit more distance between you and him. so as you were hammering it to catch up with him he transitions to the left over a razor into a big bowl. he had the throttle down on his rzr but kind of smoothly transitioned into the next bowl. you to kept it nailed, stayed right in his tracks, and went sailing airborne into the next bowl. it was like watching a motocross bike instead of a sxs the way your suspension handled the transition. you launched angled to the right and landed angled to the left. much more composed than any rzr i witnessed on any jump. laughed out loud i did!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page