First successful Glamis Dune trip Presidents Weekend - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

First successful Glamis Dune trip Presidents Weekend

The weather at Glamis this President's Weekend was the best I've ever been in, no high wind sand storms.

I had only 3 miles on the ODO when I hit the sand with the YXZ, I left with over 200.

The installation of the MPI turbo by Scottsdale Cycle Center was flawless, Jimmy there does things right. We have the fans wired to be on all the time and I never detected any heating issues. I did feel heat thru the tunnel cover upon my right knee a few times, but it went away shortly without me having to stop, guessing the thermostat was cycling and the radiator had no problem expelling the heat.

My theory was to install the turbo so as to not need paddles, and evidence seems to prove it. I climbed China Wall, Brawley Slide, Lizard Hill and Cadillac hill in 3rd gear, 8-9k RPM, with a passenger. At Oldsmobile, I went Left diagonal jumping across the easy ramp and then went up the Left/South steepest peek, again in 3rd. My tracks were the only ones up that peek at the time. 5 minutes later, RZRs tried the same line and failed.

All the times my group stopped to rest, I never got stuck. Going further south of the Named Hills, being West of China Wall, we got into to some soooooft powdery crests. I had to lag behind the quads a bit to let them transition over, for when I hit it in 3rd on boost to get over, I would overtake them way to quickly. And they are a fast group, mind you. But the YXZ was always begging to go faster. The suspension really like running in 4th better than 3rd.

Nobody wrecked their machine, Nobody died, a good time was had by all in Wash 12.

If you are in Scottsdale, AZ, look up Jimmy at
Scottsdale Cycle Center,
This one man show is a treat to watch. In the week he did my turbo, he did two others, he's got skills.
i10fwy, RiverRunner and sandman like this.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Mine is at Jimmy's shop now but we are waiting for parts. We have the MPI kit & Fan kit, waiting on rod kit and Trinity exhaust to go Stage 2. Then I can go rompin!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm the guy you talked with the morning you brought yours in to get the turbo. I imagine you'll be quite happy.

My experience at the dunes was it felt like 4th gear pulled harder than 3rd. maybe that's in the boost controller, maybe that's just Nobbies traction on the sand at speed.

Let us know how the stage two goes, that sounds interesting.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I saw several yellow yxz and then one or two blue yxz at Glamis. They all looked good with their big smiles.

The dune gods required a burnt sacrifice everyday though as I saw rzrs 3 days in a row burned up.

I am definitely going to get a fire extinguisher hanger and be real hesitant to carry a gas can over a flaming engine.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 03:53 PM

I had mine out there as well. No turbo, still stock, but I had a blast. There was no place I could not go!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgabe View Post
I had mine out there as well. No turbo, still stock, but I had a blast. There was no place I could not go!
I saw a blue YXZ ride by my camp looking at my yellow next to my white GMC with the 50 gallon fuel barrel and we waved at each other, could that have been you at Wash 12?
jjgabe likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Loving our new yxz1000r in the dunes over presidents day weekend. No hill i could not climb stock! Absolutely love it! Note: have to install additional locking collars to retain rear sway bar as this is a known problem I found out after this trip and have already ordered a set of two clamps on amazon.com to correct this as there is no permanent correction from yamaha yet. Part info: Ruland SP-20-F 1.25" I.D. 2 piece clamp
hairyolds2000 likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:22 AM

I will be returning to glamis March 11-14 and i think i will be staying at roadrunner, always smooth south of there. About 650 miles and 30 hours on our yxz now and looking to rack up a couple hundred more miles of fun. Its such a kick in the ass in the dunes all stock!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyolds2000 View Post
I saw a blue YXZ ride by my camp looking at my yellow next to my white GMC with the 50 gallon fuel barrel and we waved at each other, could that have been you at Wash 12?
That was me. I was looking for a buddy that was supposed to be in wash 13, so I trolled washes 12 - 14 looking for him.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgabe View Post
That was me. I was looking for a buddy that was supposed to be in wash 13, so I trolled washes 12 - 14 looking for him.
Now that's cool. Within the first two weeks of YXZ ownership I'm having more fun than 12 years of owning the Polaris.

Sand Forever!
ShiftNitSE and RiverRunner like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page