RV Camping with UTV Ride Out Access - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

RV Camping with UTV Ride Out Access

Hey all,
Living in So Cal and my wife and I are looking for a place to take the toys and the RV, somewhere in the forest of Southern California, as far up as Mammoth or perhaps even over to Southern Utah where we can camp in a 40ft bus and ride right out of camp to the trails. Anyone know of such a place? I've searched through RiderPlanet.com but it doesn't tell you if it's possible to get to the trails. When towing our trailer with her Rzr and my YXZ, we can't bring the truck. So.... Anyone? Appreciate any and all suggestions. We ride Glamis and the desert scene all the time. Looking for some green before the snow falls.
Cheers,
Steve
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:19 PM

Coral Pink Dunes Utah between Zion National park and Kanab off of 89 Hwy. I've been going there for years on Labor Day, always a friendly crowd. The ranger station has camping pads in the trees, no utilities, a shower house, a water fill and dump station. I haul in dry and fill my water for the daily camp fee, then go 4 miles north to camp for free on the BLM camp site nestled in the crook of the Pink Dunes road and Hancock road intersection. Then go down and dump before hauling home for another day use fee. Besides the dunes, go over to the NorthEast corner to the sand springs to take a trail that is on top of the Eastern ridge defining the dunes. Loop south on forested trails to do some canyon slick rock crawling or go to the Petroglyph site trail head, which is the only place to get cell coverage by the way. 20 mile loop from camp. Then there is going West from the camp on multiple trails, some of which go up the Virgin river and can get to Mt Carmel Junction for a snack and gas up. There is a way to loop back down to camp not using the Virgin river trail but staying just west of the Pink Dunes in the forest, about a 70mile loop. Being from AZ, having side mirrors, turn signals, street legal MC plates and insurance, Utah allows UTV's on public roads, but limited to 45mph. Look up Utah dot site for details. I went east of camp along Hancock road to 89Hwy crossed over and went on east to some great trails. Was able to go up and down the Hog Canyon trail just north Kanab, 90mile trip. Did 500 miles in 8 days there recently.

Then there is the Maryvale area further north up the 89Hwy with full amenities in camp sites with 1000's of miles of mountain trails and lots of little towns with diners that everyone just drives up to, parks, and eat.

Utah's the greatest!

Also, the weekend of Nov. 20th, Hurricane park by St. George Utah, CST tires is putting on a three day event with guided trail rides, vendors and dealers with test drives of the new models. Found that out on Craiglist Event calendar.

3300 miles @ ?hrs, so far so good!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:08 PM

Calico ghost town campground has direct access to the off road trails.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 AM

we use ford truck for camping also we use that for Queens Towing Service in New York, which truck and rv do you use camping?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page