Water in Oil?? - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Water in Oil??

So my engine blew on my 2017 YXZ1000R SS SE after 675 miles. Changed Oil at 195 miles and again at 655 miles. Was riding on roads after 2nd oil change and noticed drop in power followed by obvious rod bearing issue. Unit is still under 6 months warranty but I also have a 4 year extended warranty. Dealer told me "water" was in the oil! This was impossible as far as I was concerned because the unit was not subjected to ANY water after the 2nd oil change! Dealer says there is NO WAY to get water out of engine unless it "Boils off". So I asked "ok, then how did water get into motor in the first place?" Dealer says they think it got in through the "Alternator". I said "you mean Alternator pulley seal at front of engine?". Dealer says "That's what we think".

So this unit has been run through many puddles and lots of water, but nothing deeper than maybe 18 inches at the most. I am SURE water has been as high as the bottom of the motor and it has been pressure washed MANY times. My question is how did water get into the motor? Never a drop of oil out the seal on the front of the motor (like others have experienced after having Alternator kit installed). Dealer is trying to say that I may need to remove Alternator Kit because Yamaha will not cover another blown motor if there is water in oil again.

I am just BLOWN AWAY with this! In my group I am the "sissy" of the bunch as all my RZR buddies go through 10 times the water and mud than I do! Maybe I need to give up the pride and trade this YXZ in for RZR.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page