problems with my Yamaha YXZ 1000 tilt steer - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

problems with my Yamaha YXZ 1000 tilt steer

When I got my Yamaha YXZ 1000 home I tried to move the tilt steer. I pulled back on the strut lever and tried to move the tilt , I could not get it to move
I took it back the dealer , the guy grabbed the lever and the steering wheel and started pulling and pushing on the steering wheel. The whole buggy was rocking back and forward a couple of the inches after about 5 min he got it to move. I tried to move the tilt after he was done and I could move it.
The next day tried to move the tilt steer and it was jammed again, I could not get it to move. I took the strut off the buggy the tilt steer moved freely with no strut.
I took the top off the strut so I could get to the rod in the center of the main shaft.The center rod moves down easy. This rod releases the strut to move when it is pushed down. I pushed the rod down the tried to pull and push on the main shaft. The main shaft will not move.
Any ideas on what to try next?
Any body know a company that makes quality tilt steer struts?

I found this you tube about steering strut problems. I things he shows did not help.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2368.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2369.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1129  
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I ordered a Yamaha YXZ1000 tilt steering shock from RockyMountain atv/mc when I got this part I could not get it to move it was locked in one position. I called RockyMountain atv/mc they said send it back and they would look at it. When they got it they said they put it on Yamaha YXZ1000 they had and could not get it to work. They said they would send it back to Yamaha and order another tilt steering shock and they would test the new one before they ship it to me. They called me last week and said the tilt steering shock they just got in will not move. They said they are going to send this tilt steering shock back and call Yamaha to talk about this problem. They said they will keep going until they get a working tilt steering shock. A friend of mine got a Yamaha YXZ1000 the day before Christmas , I can get his tilt steering shock to move up and down with no problem. I still have the tilt steering shock that came with my buggy , my friend tried to move it and it will not move for him either. RockyMountain atv/mc is being very helpful , my local dealer will not help with this problem.

Last edited by stress; 01-28-2016 at 10:02 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Rocky Mountain got another tilt steering shock in and they could not get it to work. The guy at Rocky Mountain called and said he talked to Yamaha. He told me alot of people are having problems with the tilt steer not working and its high unlikely there are working tilt steer shocks available at this time. He said they would refund my money and he would e-mail when or if Yamaha has tilt steer shocks that works available

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page