Please explain Low speed and High speed compression adjustments - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By hairyolds2000
  • 2 Post By RiverRunner
  • 1 Post By RiverRunner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Please explain Low speed and High speed compression adjustments

I did 160 miles in the Glamis sand and thoroughly enjoyed the machine. I stiffened the rebound on the rears to stop the rear end from jumping up off of most woops, but on certain 18in ish berms I still get the rear end jumping up higher than the front and landing with a nose down attitude, I would prefer to jump flat and land flat. On the forest trails, if I hit the diversion berms at 40ish+ mph, it will fly flatter than if I hit them at around 30mph.

I haven't found a tutorial yet on how to set up the suspension, what to adjust for certain conditions. I'd appreciate any advice or shared links on how to learn to setup this machine for I know it is capable of better.

Thanks in advance for your input
Rolfs likes this.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:18 PM

Garage
yes what he said ^ I know there's at least a few guys with some real talent for setting up suspension on here.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:20 PM

Garage
.. I get the basics.. but I generally just use the trial and error method. might be a few guys on here who can tell you almost exactly how to set it up.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Garage
This explains it:
Technicalities: Suspension Damping | Sport Rider

On the YXZ, the rebound damping adjuster is on the bottom of the shock.
The high speed (shock shaft velocity, not vehicle's speed) is the hex nut adjuster at the top of the shocks, and the low shock speed adjuster is the slotted screw in the center of that hex nut.
Rolfs and hairyolds2000 like this.

2008 Rhino 700EFI 4
2016 YXZ 1000R Orange
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunner View Post
This explains it:
Technicalities: Suspension Damping | Sport Rider

On the YXZ, the rebound damping adjuster is on the bottom of the shock.
The high speed (shock shaft velocity, not vehicle's speed) is the hex nut adjuster at the top of the shocks, and the low shock speed adjuster is the slotted screw in the center of that hex nut.
Thanks for your answer and link. I now have a better idea as to how to play with it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 02:30 AM

Garage
I softened the rear as much as I could, I also reduced the preload on my rear springs. I jacked up the rear wheels off the ground and loosened them until their was slack in the spring, then tightened them 1/4". Works better on rough stuff, tires stay on the ground better and smoother ride.
Rolfs likes this.

2008 Rhino 700EFI 4
2016 YXZ 1000R Orange
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Found another tutorial video from Fox

https://youtu.be/8u2ZkpWaYAk

Gee, why does he make the ride height adjustment looks so easy. I noticed he didn't try to adjust the front springs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM

Anyone wanting more knowledge this is the basics good video
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Spent the Memorial Holiday on the Mogollon Rim and did 200 miles. I disconnected the rear sway bar to swing it up and wired it to the vertical frame, rides a lot smoother. Does sway in the corners, but predictable and hooks up better, harder to break traction and drift, but that keeps me from sliding into a rock and gashing the sidewalls.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Did Halloween at Glamis and the machine runs much softer now. I have the low speed compression at 24 clicks out, soft, equal all four corners. The rebound is 12 clicks out equal all for corners. The High speed compression is 1 turn out front for stiff and 4 turns out soft in the back. If I can accelerate up to 3rd gear and 40mph, the whoops smooth out, but some times the rear skid plate will smack sand, of course it came off. Saw a lot of YXZ's at Glamis, with about 50% missing the rear skid plate. In putting it back on I used the rubber coated steel "P" shaped clamps around the frame and bolted in the middle to add support. I also tucked the front edge of the rear skid plate above the middle so as to prevent scooping sand. 1st weekend in December will test at Glamis if it stays on.

3300 miles @ ?hrs, so far so good!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page