Light bar requires new alternator? - Page 2 - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanGuy View Post
But they know people are likely to add these. They even showed the YXZ with one when they first launched it. Perhaps not poor design, but they should make adding one as easy as possible.
it was pretty easy
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 PM

YXZ's have a stator not a alternator
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by i10fwy View Post
YXZ's have a stator not a alternator
thats correct, they offer an add on alternator for like $700

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:42 PM

I heard of several guys running light bars with the stock stator and not having issues. Obviously, dont leave them on while machine is not running. I believe the alternator/ aux battery kit is for the larger more exotic light bars as well as amplified stereo systems.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:43 PM

Yamaha's Charging System

I also believe that Yamaha should have supplied the YXY with at least a charging system that produced enough electrical output to power their light bar options. I feel as though they wanted to force you into their $700 alt. option. I refused to do that and installed a smaller 15" light bar and also 2 lighted whips. In 9 days of use we had no problems. I'm also going to install a 12 volt intercooler fan though may not be able to use it at night if I'm using the lights. Yamaha should step up to the plate and produce a product that has an adequate charging system for most of the normal options that most of us use. Shame on you Yamaha!
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 AM

I wrote to Yamaha on their FaceBook page and suggest you all do the same. Here's what I said
"So I ended up buying a new orange YXZ1000R and while I love the machine, I'm sort of dissapointed in Yamaha for the lack of ingenuity and planning, specific to the electrical. How can you put out a desert machine that ca't even run a stereo or light bar? Being forced to buy your $700 Alternator option feels wrong. Talking to dozens of others on the forums, we all feel like Yamaha should provide an affordable option or, make your system handle normal every day electronics like Polaris does. Come on guys, don't let us down this early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Williams View Post
I also believe that Yamaha should have supplied the YXY with at least a charging system that produced enough electrical output to power their light bar options. I feel as though they wanted to force you into their $700 alt. option. I refused to do that and installed a smaller 15" light bar and also 2 lighted whips. In 9 days of use we had no problems. I'm also going to install a 12 volt intercooler fan though may not be able to use it at night if I'm using the lights. Yamaha should step up to the plate and produce a product that has an adequate charging system for most of the normal options that most of us use. Shame on you Yamaha!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Using social media for stuff like this is a great way to get attention from the company. I suggest using Twitter as well.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:55 AM

They did it to get more hp. More rotating mass ,more drag on the motor = less hp.
ShiftNitSE likes this.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Is anyone running a light bar and the SSV works Stereo on the standard Stater electrical system?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:10 PM

I'm running a 30" Rigid light bar with blue back lighting on the stock setup. According to the Rigid specs the light bar pulls 11 amps, not much of a load really. No problems so far.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page