engine light? - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShiftNitSE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
engine light?

Anyone had an engine light yet? mine has been at dealer for a week now and they can't figure it out, say they are waiting on Yamaha to get back ahold of them. It idles around 2k rpm, I can jack the throttle and it never comes below 2,000, I had some "hanging/sticking" throttle issues early on. Nothing like the wide open throtle that other have mentioned but it would stick around 2-3k rpm but i could shut it off and it would be fine and then had no problems for a few months until last weekend. Just looking for any ideas
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:18 PM

Garage
That sucks man.. nothing worse than having it sit in the shop and not being able to ride.. especially if they still have no fix. they should give you a loaner!! sounds like a computer problem. you'd think the dealer would be able to figure it out otherwise... even still they should be able to figure something like that out. keep us posted on what they find

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftNitSE View Post
Anyone had an engine light yet? mine has been at dealer for a week now and they can't figure it out, say they are waiting on Yamaha to get back ahold of them. It idles around 2k rpm, I can jack the throttle and it never comes below 2,000, I had some "hanging/sticking" throttle issues early on. Nothing like the wide open throtle that other have mentioned but it would stick around 2-3k rpm but i could shut it off and it would be fine and then had no problems for a few months until last weekend. Just looking for any ideas
I had high idle problems that were self inflicted, like a Homer I tapped into the ECU diagnostic plug to run my whip lights not knowing what that plug was for, I thought it was for the auxilary light bar, nope, mine idled at 2500 RPM, when cold it idled at 1600 but within 20 seconds was at 2500, took it in and they changed a blown fuse and it now idles at 1500 and runs great. I couldn't tell you which fuse they replaced, they didn't really tell me. Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfs View Post
That sucks man.. nothing worse than having it sit in the shop and not being able to ride.. especially if they still have no fix. they should give you a loaner!! sounds like a computer problem. you'd think the dealer would be able to figure it out otherwise... even still they should be able to figure something like that out. keep us posted on what they find
got my machine back this weekend. light is off, runs great service manager said Yamaha told them the engine light was because the computer wasn't setup for a rekluse clutch. They say if you let it sit and idle in gear (instead of neutral) it confuses the ECU and throws a light. Also had him look at the clutches and said they look good with 370 miles on the machine. Said they could not get it to replicate the high idle which is hard to believe because it was doing it when i dropped it off but idles fine now.
Rolfs likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZenferno View Post
I had high idle problems that were self inflicted, like a Homer I tapped into the ECU diagnostic plug to run my whip lights not knowing what that plug was for, I thought it was for the auxilary light bar, nope, mine idled at 2500 RPM, when cold it idled at 1600 but within 20 seconds was at 2500, took it in and they changed a blown fuse and it now idles at 1500 and runs great. I couldn't tell you which fuse they replaced, they didn't really tell me. Good luck.
thats interesting...I tapped my winch control wires into a plug (under hood, in front of steering column) is that the same plug you used?? I'm assuming it would cause a problem immediately though and mine ran for quite a while with winch installed before my idle issue began. got my machine back from the dealer this weekend and said they could not get it to replicate the high idle for them and I didn't have any issues on my ride this sunday so...idk. Yamaha told them the engine light was on because the ECU wasn't programmed for a Rekluse and when it would sit idle in gear (instead of neutral), it confuses the ECU and throws a light.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:58 AM

I had a high idle issue right from day one of purchase. I bought it brand new, loaded it on the trailer, went to unload it to go for a rip and the check engine light came on with a high idle. I drove it anyways because I couldn't see any other issue with it. Took it back to the dealer after I was done and showed it to them. They first said it was from the IAC valve was sticking, but would reset itself after it sat for a bit. But the issue kept coming back. So they swapped it with another one that was working and same problem kept coming back. So its not the IAC valve.
Then the dealer adjusted the throttle bodies to make them all in sync within the specs. They said some engines weren't set perfectly from the factory. Works great now with no more high idle issue or check engine lights.

Now I have a sluggish throttle response issue Im working out with it. My machine had this from day one as well. Just seems to me like something else needs an adjustment. I stall out way too much and its annoying.

2016 YXZ1000R SE2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page