Dune Running: Tire Selection - Page 2 - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Were they super expensive? How did the first tires pop so quickly? How did they pouncture?
Running around Ocotillo Wells and within 30 minutes hit a small rock kind of sticking out of a ledge I was running alongside. It was pretty lame and tore both sidewalls in one shot. I was dissapointed to say the least.
$750 installed for the Tensors and have had no problems in two more desert rides. And they make the Yxz run so much better imo.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 AM

Thoughts on 30x11 skat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
well everyone knows I'm a Skat-Trak guy, I will bet it all on this one. The Yamaha will like the lightest tire and wheel combo you can find and I'm almost thinking that the 86 " to 88 Roll out on the 26x12.5x12 7 paddle will be the ticket to keep the wheel speed and RPM high. I really believe a heavy molded tire will kill this car
What is your opinion of the 30x11 Skat-Trak? I think it was for a 14" wheel.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Were they super expensive? How did the first tires pop so quickly? How did they pouncture?
I never have had any complaints with the Big Horns 2.0 tires in the desert but you have to air them up to 18 psi or so to keep them from getting pinch flats and keep the rocks from cutting them so easy. I thik the top race teams even air the Spec R tires up to like 25psi.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.F.O. View Post
What is your opinion of the 30x11 Skat-Trak? I think it was for a 14" wheel.
The Skat-Trak tire is by far the best performing sand tire there is period. This Yamaha we believe will need the lightest tire and wheel combo you can find for the best performance. Were gonna try and test a few on a friends car before he turbos it if we have time. I think a 7 or 8 paddle depending on the carcass used. I would say the lighter 12" 26 x12.5 with 86" roll out will be the hot setup. Mac at MPI said something one day about how the Yamaha responds well to a smaller tire.
Now if ya go with a super light Extreme Skat we think maybe a 8 paddle since they have huge roll out and you want the paddle spacing to be the same as like the 26x 12.5
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal12 View Post
I had two punctured side walls 30 minutes into my first ride so the Bighorns went into the garbage can.

Got them replaced with Tensor Regulator 28" tires all around. the Yxz rides so much smoother with these tires and they are much more dependable with 8 ply.
Wow that sucks :-/ So far i've had good luck with them. though I havent ridden to many rough trails with the yxz yet a couple guys in the group have had them on their wildcats .. only one puncture with the bighorns.. he upgraded to an 8 ply tire and had another puncture like 2 weekends later.. so I guess nothing will be indestructible..

Those new tires really look good on the YX though man, Nice! hopefully they hold up

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM

Dave at Fullerton set me up with a set of STU 26" blasters #1 full paddle play cut. 88" to 90" rollout and smoothies 90" Roll out up front. I went with the new stealth rims. When I raise the HP I will have them comp cut. They work great.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page