29's on the yxz? - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
29's on the yxz?

after cutting 2 sidewalls on the bighorns I'm looking into an 8-ply tire. is anyone running larger tires than stock? I'm thinking 29's but don't want to give up too much low end power.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftNitSE View Post
after cutting 2 sidewalls on the bighorns I'm looking into an 8-ply tire. is anyone running larger tires than stock? I'm thinking 29's but don't want to give up too much low end power.
can you not get 8-plys in stock sizes?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 AM

Garage
I'm running the Sendona Rock-a-Billy tires . 28x10x14 8 ply rad. Really like them so far. running 12 psi.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMadMan View Post
I'm running the Sendona Rock-a-Billy tires . 28x10x14 8 ply rad. Really like them so far. running 12 psi.
any pics by chance?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Has anyone tried 30" Looking to up grade larger tire.
Not sure if this would put pressure on the clutch or have the clearance to do.
Any info would help
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM

I'm running 28 tensors. They come in 28 or 30. I love them and believe they are far more robust than stock tires!
UTVGoodtimes likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessuno View Post
can you not get 8-plys in stock sizes?
I can get 27's in 8ply, however I ride trails here at home (IL) creeks, rivers, log crossings. We normally make 2 trips a year to TN (Royal Blue, Brimstone, and Windrock) ....I was just looking for another 1.5" ground clearance since I'm buying 4 tires anyway and wanted to know how the stock gearing worked with a larger diameter tire.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBC555 View Post
Has anyone tried 30" Looking to up grade larger tire.
Not sure if this would put pressure on the clutch or have the clearance to do.
Any info would help
I'm thinking we have the clearance, it's the clutch/gearing that I'm concerned about. 90% of my riding is on the trails and hills in 1st & 2nd gear with a Rekluse installed. I'm worried that the constant low speed on larger diameter tires will wear clutches faster (more slipping of the clutches by the Rekluse?) After a recent trip to TN and over 130 miles at Royal Blue and Brimstone on stock tires and Rekluse installed I'm thinking 1st gear will handle it just fine but was looking for anyone with real life experience on 29s or 30s with Rekluse on trails
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftNitSE View Post
I'm thinking we have the clearance, it's the clutch/gearing that I'm concerned about. 90% of my riding is on the trails and hills in 1st & 2nd gear with a Rekluse installed. I'm worried that the constant low speed on larger diameter tires will wear clutches faster (more slipping of the clutches by the Rekluse?) After a recent trip to TN and over 130 miles at Royal Blue and Brimstone on stock tires and Rekluse installed I'm thinking 1st gear will handle it just fine but was looking for anyone with real life experience on 29s or 30s with Rekluse on trails
Not to derail this discussion but what do you think of the rekluse so far? ?? does it affect the performance at all? .. negatively I mean..

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfs View Post
Not to derail this discussion but what do you think of the rekluse so far? ?? does it affect the performance at all? .. negatively I mean..
I wouldn't say it has any negative affects because you still have use of the clutch if needed, unlike the original Rekluse that I've had experience with on dirt bikes. I would say it's more of an anti stall device for tight technical terrain. I wasn't given any instruction on operation of the clutch after Rekluse was installed (Rekluse paperwork is basically for install purposes only) Dealer installed. 1st ride with Rekluse was in the mountains of TN and it performed flawlessly. I still find myself using the clutch to shift out of habit and it's just a smoother shift...if your just cruising shifting without clutch is no problem but when I ripping on it I will hit the clutch, just something about meshing gears at 10,500 R's makes me nervous lol.
And to go even further off topic, I think I read that you ride in muddy conditions. Have you experienced any overheating issues? I did a radiator relocate this last weekend, I was collecting a lot of mud/dirt in the rad. and I am by no means a mud rider and avoid the deep stuff if possible but I'm not scared to give her ****...but not too much because I'm still waiting on my front bumper/winch mount
Rolfs likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page