600 Mile (9) day with MPI Turbo Install - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Glen Williams

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

600 Mile (9) day with MPI Turbo Install

Hi Guys. This is Glen Williams again. We had installed the MPI Turbo on our 2016 YXZ at the end of November and went to Dumont Dunes from Nov. 20t thru Nov. 30th. This is the first chance we had to really try out the turbo and everything went perfect. We put a little over 600 miles on it in those days. We had "O" problems with the YXZ and "O" problems with the MPI turbo. I adjusted the tire pressure once and that was it other than lots of fuel. My son is partners with me on the YXZ though also owns a 2016 Polaris RZR Turbo with a Stage 2 kit. We had no problems with either one though the Yamaha is faster. The Polaris is smoother riding and after spending time driving both I feel that the Polaris would probably be a better all around UTV. The power band on the Yamaha is hard hitting and puts a smile on your face each time you get there. The Polaris has more of a even pull all the way thru. The Yamaha reminds me of my 2 stroke days when you were to get on the pipe. I believe that the Yamaha would probably be better for desert and dune riding and due to the automatic the Polaris for hills, mud, trail riding. I enjoyed both but in different ways. The Yamaha has a lot of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear and the 3rd gear is a good hard pulling overall gear. At Dumont around the dunes I found myself using 3rd and 4th most of the time. On the largest of hills I would try to enter the bottom of the hill in 3rd and it would carry me thru just about anything. The Turbo did make quite a difference in the lower gears though there was a lot of wheel spin. I never seemed to run out of power or gears. Very pleased. We have been going to Dumont over Thanksgiving for our annual family reunion for about 11 years now and this was the first time we actually had "O" issues. We used to have a Tatum and a Hyabussa sand rail though sold them for lack of use. I just installed my 1/2 windshield today and will be ordering wheel spacers soon for the YXZ. Still very pleased and awaiting for more options to become available. Thanks for reading, Glen.
Zporty, Rolfs, ShiftNitSE and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Garage
thats a great review, I have had no experience in the dunes or deep sand with my YXZ, I mainly ride trails and fields here in IL and usually TN twice a year. Ive also compared it to my 2-stroke dirt bikes where you need to keep your rpm up to stay in the "power band". It is rough riding....at low speeds but so smooth when your moving. I have not driven any rzr 1000's to compare it too, but had a 2015 rzr 900XC and sold it after 6 months because i couldn't keep it together.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Great to hear from you. Would be interested to see some pictures of the modifications that you have done to your YXZ if you get the chance to post some. Thanks fo rsharing with us you r thoughts on the YXZ.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Good to see you had a good time! How much boost are you running?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badride View Post
Good to see you had a good time! How much boost are you running?
It's the MPI so 5 PSI.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Hello, how many milles have now your Yamaha with turbo? The engine work ok? Thank you for your replay.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page